Administrators can manually combine multiple, already existing, segments into one new segment for analysis. This can be done prior to a survey launch, as well as retrospectively after a survey has long been closed. This article will focus on a specific example, however the instructions can be adapted to combine a multitude of segments across various attributes.
Let's imagine that there are teams dispersed in several countries, which can be found under the "Location" attribute.
The marketing team has grown in size and now spans over two locations - London and Copenhagen. The administrator would like to give certain managers access to the marketing team in their location only. They are not people managers, therefore are not linked to these employees directly, so the managers need their specific sub-segments assigned to them (see Giving access to segment data by adding segment managers). The problem is that the Marketing segment contains 'too much' access for either manager, as they only need access from their own location. This can be solved by creating a new special cases attribute.
How to add a custom attribute and segment
- Go to Administration > Attributes
- Click on Add attribute to create a new attribute for this special case, eg. Department by Location
- Scroll down and add the segment options to the special cases attribute (in this case one could create Marketing x London and Marketing x Copenhagen)
How to add employees into the custom segments
- Navigate to Administration > Employees
- Use the filters on the left side to filter on the required data (in this example, it would first be Department = Marketing, and Location = London)
- Select all employees and click the Edit button
- On the bulk update profile, find the field for the special cases attribute (Department by Location)
- Within this field, select the first new segment created in step 3
- If retroactive effect is needed, click the small clock icon next to this attribute and either backdate to the start of time, or 1 day before a specific historical survey round
- Follow the instructions in Giving access to segment data by adding segment managers to grant managers access to this segment
To later populate the other segment (Marketing x Copenhagen), revert back to step 5 and filter by Department = Marketing, and Location = Copenhagen, then follow the rest of the steps.
If the change is not backdated, when the next survey round goes out, new survey data will populate on the new segments. If the change has been backdated, the segments will be populated with historical data immediately.
For Premier clients, it is possible to combine results of two option type attributes automatically through Using combination attributes for additional access.